Sunday, March 21, 2021

Homemade Chorizo

One of the first things my husband introduced me to was chorizo, a spicy Mexican meat that he cooked up with eggs for breakfast on one of my visits to see him in Southern California.  I loved the taste of it, but wasn't too keen on the texture, mostly the grisly bits of snouts, tails and other random stuff that's typically part of the deal in the prepackaged links you buy in the grocery store. 


This chorizo on the other hand, contains only ground meat, and has all the flavour without the gross bits.  It's delicious, easy to make, and way better than store bought.  I typically portion this out into 1 1/2 lb bags and toss one in the freezer for another week. 


My husband is in seventh heaven when I take the time to make this for him. This makes a quick and easy breakfast, whether it's just breakfast burritos or within a full-on chorizo, potato and scrambled eggs skillet for the boys.





Ingredients

2 pounds ground beef
1 pound ground pork
¾ cup chili powder
¾ teaspoon dried oregano
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons salt
¾ cup chicken stock
¼ cup white vinegar

Directions

  1. In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix together the ground beef, ground pork, chili powder, oregano, garlic, salt, chicken stock and vinegar. 
  2. Divide into two or more freezer bags (I use two one-gallon bags) and refrigerate for 2 to 3 days, taking out daily to mix thoroughly.

Notes

The first photo shows the chorizo this recipe makes.  The following photos show it being prepared with potatoes and scrambled eggs, which the boys enjoy served with or in tortillas.
This chorizo keeps many days in the refrigerator, but if you're not going to cook with it all soon-ish, do store it in the freezer.
I find that mixing in my Kitchenaid stand mixer with the flat paddle makes this such easy work. 



No comments:

Post a Comment