Sunday, December 30, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Soup

We're on vacation from work for a few weeks, so I'm finally able to cook dinner for the family outside of just doing it on weekends.  I had a look through my favourite recipes and realized it had been a while since I'd made this one.  The last time I made this I had company visiting from Oakland, CA, and by the time I sat down to eat mine, it was stone cold (I just hope that my company's wasn't also cold -- if so, they were gracious enough not to complain!).  


This recipe calls for a short list of ingredients (most or all of which I always have on hand), and it's a delicious way to warm up after being out in  the cold (or watching it from the window, like me!).

I paired this soup with corn muffins (recipe follows) for a quick and delicious Mexican meal. 




Ingredients


2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/2 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 (900mL) cartons chicken broth
1 can corn kernels
1 cup onion, chopped
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 cup chunky salsa
tortilla chips
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/2 cup sour cream


Directions
  1. In a large pot over medium heat, cook and stir chicken in the oil for 5 minutes. 
  2. Add the garlic and cumin and mix well.
  3. Add the broth, corn, onion, lemon juice, chili powder, and salsa. 
  4. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes.
  5. Pour soup into bowls.  
  6. Top with a handful of crushed tortilla chips, a sprinkling of Monterey Jack cheese and a dollop of sour cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment