Monday, December 31, 2012

Rice Pudding

So, after finding the ramekins for the bacon baskets I bailed on, I decided that I should put them to good use (since they were already out) and make some rice pudding.

I LOVE rice pudding, but it's such a pain to make it.  Invariably, I eat some, the kids don't, and then I have a large casserole dish of rice pudding I need to (a) eat, (b) find a home in my fridge for, or (c) toss out.  If you've ever seen the inside of my fridge, you'd know (b) is not an option.  
A while back I took my favourite rice pudding recipe and converted the grams to tablespoons (etc.) and re-wrote the recipe to make in ramekins (for a change, I actually wrote them down so that I don't have to continue to look up the conversions EVERY TIME I make them!!).  Made in ramekins the "leftovers" are easier to find a place for in the fridge, and they're a good individual portion size.  

This recipe is SO fast and easy to prepare, though cooking takes some time.  I prefer mine without nutmeg or raisins, and like to serve it with a dollop of raspberry jam (must be the British in me!).  Feel free to add those if you'd prefer.




Ingredients


4 tbsp short grained rice
2 tbsp white sugar
600 mL milk

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
  2. Spray four (5 oz) ramekins with non-stick spray.  
  3. Into each ramekin, place 1 tablespoon of rice, and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar. 
  4. Pour 150mL milk into each ramekin.  Stir to blend.
  5. Place ramekins on rack in the centre of oven.  Place a cookie sheet on the rack below in case of spillage. 
  6. Bake for 30 minutes.  Stir gently.
  7. Bake for a further one hour.  
  8. Remove from oven. Serve hot or cold. Top with a dollop of red jam to serve.
Makes 4

No comments:

Post a Comment