Here's the recipe for the cornbread muffins I paired with the Chicken Tortilla Soup this evening. They're not too sweet, and just the way my husband likes them.
He even likes to snack on these with honey, although with the soup he didn't do that.
Pair these with the Chicken Tortilla Soup for a quick and delicious Mexican meal.
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
2 1/2 cups milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup white sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray two standard size muffin tins with nonstick spray.
- In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Mix in the cornmeal mixture, beaten eggs, and oil until smooth. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
Makes 24 muffins.